Friday 6 April 2018

You Are Never Too Old To Set Another Goal




“You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream” C S Lewis


As the plane touched down in San Javier, Murcia airport on the 27th February, 2018,  I couldn’t believe that my dream of having a holiday place in Spain had become a reality.

For as long as I can remember, I had wanted to have a bolt hole in Spain where I could just relax and savour the Spanish way of life. Now I had it. My lovely little two bedroomed apartment in La Union on the Costa Calida was waiting for me and I couldn’t wait to make it my own. I had purposely picked a town where very little English was spoken, which meant that my knowledge of Spanish had to improve pretty quickly! “Habla usted Ingles?” fell on very deaf ears!


The local panaderia, El Garbanzal, was my saviour in those first tentative days in a new place. Open very early in the morning, baking the most delicious delicacies,and open until late at night. It was the place for me to take a book, immerse myself in listening to Spanish being spoken all around me, and get to know the locals.


I didn’t realise how cold the nights could be in February, and after taking to my bed on that first night, in pyjamas, jumper, socks and a hat, I seriously had to think how I was going to buy the necessary quilts, pillows, etc., for a good night’s sleep in subsequent nights!. Why oh why didn’t I bring a hot water bottle with me?! Out came the phrase books and notebook for me to practice how to ask for a quilt in Spanish! The next day, I managed to visit the local retail park, and lo and behold, quilts and pillows were purchased, much to my delight!


To be continued.........

No comments:

Post a Comment

My First Hire Car and Mar de Plastico!

I had lovely trip back to La Union a few weeks ago, and I actually hired a car for this trip, for the first time ever!   I didn’t know how...