Wednesday 11 April 2018

My First Week



My first week went by in a flash, and I learnt how to converse with the local shopkeepers
for my food shopping and say “Hola” to every passing stranger! It's nice that everyone
says "Hola" to this 55 year old strange woman!!

I discovered that the Number 10 bus goes to Cartagena, as does the “baby train” as I call
it from the little local train station in La Union. The bus costs 1 euro, 25 each way for the
25 minute trip - a bargain, with the train costing 2 euros, 70 for a return trip, the train
journey being about 12 minutes each way.

Tuesday was the day for the local market in La Union along Calle Mayor.  I loved the
sights and sounds of the market, the colours, and the general hustle and bustle of the stalls.

I bought so much that I forgot how I was going to carry the goods I had bought in the
twenty minute walk back to my apartment in the heat! Time to puchase one of those
"shoppers" on wheels!

I found food to be much cheaper than in the UK for most items, including delicious
baguettes or "barra" for as little as 43 cents.

I learnt that you take your life in your hands as a pedestrian in Spain and I had to

constantly remind myself to look the opposite way for oncoming traffic. Cars don't
automatically stop at crossings - frightening!


Next blog - making new friends and my first Menu Del Dia meal.





.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My First Hire Car and Mar de Plastico!

I had lovely trip back to La Union a few weeks ago, and I actually hired a car for this trip, for the first time ever!   I didn’t know how...